Last updated on July 3rd, 2015 at 08:38 pm
My Compaq Presario 2104US laptop is playing up. It?s seems as if a non-printing key like ctrl is stuck down (except I don?t think it is that key).
- Alt-Tab in windows doesn?t work as if ctrl key is held down. Ctrl-tab works
- pressing and holding the down arrow key produces a ?c? character every second
- Using PuTTY on a unix box ctrl-key combinations that require confirmation fail.
- Using KeyTweak it reports the scancode 57392 constantly repeating. When I map that code to any other key it reports the code as key 131 (but I don?t think that is right).
Update 3 June: It turns out this was right!
- Booting in linux, the startup console shows ^[[26~ at the typematic rate
So hopefully cleaning the keyboard will unstick the problem. Unfortunately getting at the keyboard to clean it is not obvious. I got onto HP?s live chat and they sent me the link to the service manual. Worst case this fault will require a trip to the repair shop for a new keyboard or keyboard controller. I?ll try cleaning it first.
This manual provides reference information for servicing the HP Pavilion ze5600, ze5500, ze5400, ze5300, ze5200, ze4700, ze4600, ze4500, ze4400, ze4300, ze4200, and ze4100 Notebook PCs, HP Compaq nx9010, nx9008, nx9005, and nx9000 Notebook PCs, Compaq Evo Notebook 1050v and 1010v Series, and Compaq Presario 2500, 2100, and 1100 Series Mobile PCs. These notebook models use technology code KE.
Via the HP website HP and compaq service manual
Update @ 14:29: Cleaning the keyboard didn?t work. But I can buy a replacement keyboard from HP and it will be here in 2-6 days.