Last updated on July 4th, 2015 at 07:06 pm
I?ve migrated the server this site runs on. Let me know if anything has broken in the move either in a comment or by email to paulz at this domain.
Here is a top level checklist for managing such a move. I?ll expand it as the post migration testing continues.
- Check dependencies for your application and site
- PHP version & modules
- Database versions
- Apache modules
- Application hard coded file system paths
- Copy file system files
- You can use SCP/FTP tools or rsync
- Copy databases
- If files are small (<50MB gzip?ed) you can use phpMyAdmin to export then import to your new host.
- Larger sites will need to use FTP and command line tools.
- Migrate email addresses, aliases/forwarders and any IMAP mail
- IMAP email boxes can be manually moved via email client. This can be slow for mailboxes >100MB
- Gmail is great for migrating mail and gives 7.5GB of storage assuming you don?t mind Google tracking everything.
- Migrate mailing lists and mailing list application if any.
- Note any domain name aliases on old host and replicate on new host
- Migrate hosted stats package like awstats
- Check cron jobs for any custom jobs/apps that need to be migrated
- Update domain SPF records
- SSH keys will change ? be aware of it
- Change DNS name server delegation
- email addresses,
- mailing lists,
- mail forwarding
- Check for broken links